How to Overcome Dental Anxiety
If you are nervous before going to the dentist, you might have a dental phobia or dental anxiety. This is not an uncommon fear, but it is something that can be overcome. It’s important to work through your fear of the dentist so you can maintain a healthy smile.
Our friendly dentists in North York, ON can help. Give Vita Dentistry a call to learn more about our services and how we can help with dental anxiety.
What Happens if You Skip Dental Appointments?
Dentists recommend biannual exams and cleanings. This will help you to keep your teeth and gums in great shape. Without regular appointments, you may experience the following issues:
- Plaque and tartar build-up
- Infections and disease
- Discoloration and staining
- Bad breath
- Tooth loss
Ways to Make a Dental Visit Less Stressful
Because you can’t avoid the dentist altogether, try out these tips for making the experience more enjoyable.
- Bring a friend or family member with you for support. They can offer words of encouragement and reassure you while you’re in the waiting room. They may be able to stay with you during your appointment but ask our dentists to be sure.
- Don’t arrive too early. While you should be on time for your appointment, you don’t have to be too early. If you spend more time than necessary waiting for your appointment, the anxiety can continue to build.
- Keep yourself distracted. Before you leave the house and while you wait for your appointment, you should stay busy. Read a book or magazine, spend time on your phone, or work on a crossword puzzle.
- Make an appointment early in the day. If you have an appointment first thing in the morning, you won’t have to worry about it all day. You can wake up and head straight to the dentist.
- Schedule your next appointment while you’re at the dentist’s office. If you leave the dentist before making your next appointment, you may not call to schedule it later on. While you’re there, go ahead and schedule the appointment to make sure you come back.
If you’re wanting a stress-free dental experience, call Vita Dentistry today to schedule an appointment with our dentists near you.